Thursday, June 07, 2007

Buying in Bulk

"After all, the chief business of the American people is business."
--Calvin Coolidge, Address before the American Society of Newspaper Editors, Washington, D.C., Jan. 17, 1925

When the doctors start telling you your time is growing short, and there's really not much they can do (as will happen after my latest scans/pictures today) you have about 4 options :

1. Piss and moan about how unfair life is.

2. Sit and around the house and cry and feel sorry for yourself.

3. Read the Bible, try to contemplate life, while spending time outside.

4. "Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Most of us do some combination of the above. I was never very good at #1, spent most of least week doing #2. That leaves #3 and #4. I'm going to start using some self discipline and starting on #3 in a more serious fashion this next week. That leaves #4. Now there's only so many time you can read a poem so you kind of have to think metaphorically here.

One of my protests against this whole dying thing has been shopping. Nothing extravagant mind you , but grocery shopping for example. We always bought the bag with 50 coffee filters for about 68 cents. I am the only one who drinks coffee in my house, so it makes sense. A few weeks ago, I dropped a whole $1.79 on 200 filters as my little protest against cancer. I've used about 75 so far, so this huge investment may pay off yet :-). I bought a huge (3lb.?) coffee can of Folgers because it was on sale for $4.99. Melissa was mad about it because the can takes up so much cupboard space, but I drank it all. Working on a small bag of Starbucks now.

I bought 10 cans of Chunky (both Campbell's and the HyVee (store) brand) and Healthy Choice soups for $0.75 from the scratch n' dent carts they put at the front of the store. I know it's almost summer, but I intend to eat them all.

I always check out what's in the clearance aisle at Target. I am Bargain Betty and I'm not changing, cancer be damned.

The visits to the oncologists this morning went as I envisioned. There's really nothing else they can for me at this point, my lungs sound pretty good, the cognitive and physical declines are not very steep at this point, and I'm in as good as shape as someone with terminal cancer can be.

On a lighter note, the first two of the ducklings whose mother set up shop in our yard hatched yesterday. The first one with any yellow color is going to be named after Steve Bowman.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should have went to Sam's Club. Of course you would probably still be in line to check out. My 95 year old Grandpa's(Grandpa Martin, you know him), favorite line is: " I don't buy green bananas anymore." Anyway, I'm going to have to go to the Martin card here. A bit more on the meaning of life; "No more shenanigans, no more tomfoolery, no more ballyhoo... from the movie Good Will Hunting. Just kidding. Hope to see you soon.

The best man.

Anonymous said...

You're sense of humor is in fine shape too. We are going out of town this weekend. Lunch or Happy Hour next week?

amanda said...

You oughta send me your address...I can send you some of my favorite coffee from Hawaii. Email is amandamshaffer (at) gmail (dot) com.

Also, buy yourself a fancy pastry or some other small indulgence the next trip to the grocery store. :)

Thinking of you,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Awww, Tom, I am still checking up on you...I click in my favorites and say out loud..."What is Tom up to these days." May I tell you that your situation makes me sick...sad...outraged?! Been keeping you in my prayers since I found your blog a few months ago. When I went through my cancer, I meditated on..."The things that are impossible with man are possible with God", and "My help comes from the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth", to name a few. Not preaching, just saying that God's Word, I have found, has power. Yeah I know, those who don't believe there is a God will shake their fists at me and be angry for saying that, but, this is who I am. Your attitude is marvelous, Tom, what a guy! GREAT sense of humor. May I say my heart is with you...my prayers continue to be.
Blessings to you,
Comrade L

Anonymous said...

Missed you (and your posts) during your week of #2! (must..not..make...poop..joke..aaaagh... )
See you this weekend.

Tom Clarke said...

Comrade L,

I always enjoyed your comments on Cat Lady's site. I'm pleased you're reading my blog as well. Who knew?

Your certainly not offending anyone with your prayers or beliefs here, or at least anyone who counts (namely me :-) ).

Keep in touch.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Well Tom, You will remain in my prayers. I have loved reading your stories and seeing your lovely Melissa and your friends/family, not quite who they are, but you have a circle of affectionate ones I can see. Your attitude is what I would call heroic, you have faced your onslaught with great dignity and wonderful humor.
Keep on keepin' on!
Comrade L

Anonymous said...

Speaking of prayers, I was in St. Patrick's, the first church to be built in Federal City (built in 1792) last night. I saw the statue of St. Thomas More (the patron saint of lawyers and politicians) and during Mass had some heavy discussions with the saints and with God about your situation. It was the right place to be having the discussion. I told them we were talking about a lawyer with a grand Irish heritage. I hope that you are feeling that support and the connection.

the uncle

Kelly said...

"spent most of last week doing #2"

harhar....i am soooo mature.

:o)

Anonymous said...

Tom-
Having been reading your blog, and am glad to get the updates. Sure miss seeing you and Melissa and the boys at the ball field. Praying for you guys, and hoping you at enjoying some cold beers this month!

Patti Umble

Kay said...

I love your attitude and your blog! It's hurricane season here in Florida so we always stock up - but I think this time it will be with a different attitude and with a smirk on my face. Screw you cancer, I will still be here for the end of the season ready to go on buying in bulk!