Friday, December 22, 2006

Merry Christmas

(and drink your Gin & Tonicah's, cause it's time for Hanukkah)

Not Happy Holidays. Not Holiday Greetings. Merry Christmas. It's a celebration of Christ's birth. My sons' school which we've otherwise been very pleased with has changed the lyrics on the Christmas songs, placing "winter" where Christmas is supposed to go. So now it's the "Twelve Days of Winter" and so forth. Political correctness run amok.

To add insult to injury, this public school is teaching my kid Hanukkah songs. When asked for an explanation as to the discrepancy, we never really got one from the teacher or the school. So, instead of wasting what little time I have left arguing with school administrators about the issue, I went the subversive route: I played Adam Sandler's "The Chanukah Song" for my older son knowing that by the end of this week every 5th grader at his school would be singing it as well. :-)

Thanks for the help on the rain songs. I can't believe I missed the Prince, Led Zep and James Taylor entries. Must be chemo brain. I trust no one cheated by using iTunes, Napster, Google and the like. I mean, hell, I can do that. I actually came up with four more on my own that oddly enough, weren't mentioned by anyone:

No Rain Blind Melon
I Love a Rainy Night Eddie Rabbitt
Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head B.J. Thomas
Fixing a Hole The Beatles

BTW, there's a new link on the left. She's funny and clever, and unfortunately, recently widowed due to cancer. Check out her blog.

"For there is born to you this day in the City of David, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."

Luke 2:11

Surprised you mom, didn't I? Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny. I was thinking of you last weekend when I heard Blind Melon's 'no rain' on the radio. Wouldn't be a good friend to the KP if I didn't give a shout out to Milli Vanilli's 'Blame it on the Rain' (ok, we all know it wasn't really Milli Vannilli, but none of the rest of you had the guts to bring it up!!!).

Anonymous said...

good thing it was sunny today...sorry I didn't sign the last comment...

-Megan

amanda said...

Thanks for the props--do you have "The rain Song" by Led Zeppelin on your list?

have the best Xmas possible~

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I think everybody missed the Eurythmics "Here Comes the Rain Again." We know a thing or two about rain here in Seattle... getting about 2 inches in one day with 70 mph winds about a week ago :)

We also know a thing or two about political correctness. I should demand that they erect an aluminum pole in honor of Festivus.

Sorry I couldn't make it out for Thanksgiving -- was just starting a new job. Now that I have learned of Steph's engagement (only by reading your blog!) I'll have to plan a trip for August...

Merry Christmas... er... Xmas... I mean, Happy Holidays!

-Mike the Younger

Anonymous said...

Mike the younger was nice enough not to mention that his Mom and Dad moved in with him for four nights while the electricity was off on M.I. due to downed trees in that horrible storm! I thought we had all of our rain in November and wrote that in our Christmas letter! Ah well, it will be better when you come to visit next summer. My generation adds "Singing in the Rain," but as it pours on my roof, I feel like yelling at it! Anyway, Merry Christmas...we'll call tomorrow...Love ya, the western aunt

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Tom! Just so you know, I left my comment on your previous post before I had read, but you had already posted this one.

And as I thought... no offence taken at all. I agree with you.

I like the idea of demanding a Festivus Pole!

Anonymous said...

Mom is learning to leave comments! She will tell you that she knew all those years of Catholic school were good for something.

love,
Stephanie