Monday, July 09, 2007

Overtime

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, Thought I'd something more to say. . .

--Pink Floyd. "Time", Dark Side of the Moon. (1973)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
After a game where the home team somehow managed to get the ball up court, dribble a couple of times, then drive in for a shot (the clock had said 1.5 seconds remaining, you see), the visiting coach stormed into the home team coach's office asking who in the hell the clock operator was.

"Calm down, I don't want you hurting anybody," the home coach said."I don't want to hurt the guy," the visitor said. "I just want him to time the rest of my life."

Ditto. I got the 2nd quote from either Dean Schmitz or Scott Bandstra, I think. Stand up and take credit, whoever. Stand up and take credit, whoever. July 7, 2007, has come and gone and here I am. If anybody, took the under, time to pay up. There's no shame in admitting it, I didn't think I was going to make it several times. But here I am still standing, although my body is hurting and my days are growing shorter. E-Mails and blog comments are always welcome, please set up visits in advance.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You told me to bet the over and I never doubted you.

I check in with Melissa daily mostly so you know I am thinking of you. If your feeling up to it I will stop by. Otherwise, save your energy for your boys.

Friendship is an asset too valuable to measure. Please know how much I value yours.

Art

Anonymous said...

A little extra innings history for you.

I work minutes away from McCoy Stadium, home of the longest baseball game in history--Pawtucket Red Sox vs. Rochester Red Wings(April 18 - June 23, 1981) - 33 Innings. Check out the site http://www.pawsox.com/team/longest_game/

Keep the hits coming.

Love, RI Clarkes

Anonymous said...

Have been thinking of you VERY frequently and check several times a day for new blog entries. So glad when there is a new one. Hi, Melissa and boys. Happy belated birthday, Jack! I still remember your daddy swinging you in the baby swing when you were 14 months old and now you're 7!

The Hamils

Anonymous said...

Congrats on overtime! Well played!

Anonymous said...

Tom,
I've been "secretly" reading your blog for quite some time. We are all praying for you and think of you daily. Want you to know you and your wonderful family continue to touch our family in ways you'll never know.
I caught some good footage of the opening ceremonies yesterday. Will get you a copy.
Sorry 'bout the ducks! Ya know, when you gotta go, you gotta go.
Bo

amanda said...

Keep on keepin' on, it's all you can do, right?

I am thinking of you constantly...and I hope that you are comfortable and find moments of happiness each day.

Anonymous said...

Tom...I look daily at your blog. I like seeing your words and so thrilled that you are with us.
My prayers for you continue,
Comrade L

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I love all these baseball references. You and Melissa have a standing invitation to come to New York anytime you want. But no Bronx Bombers, only Amazin Mets games, ok?

aaron

Anonymous said...

Tom,
We continue to think of you and pray for you and your family daily. Keep on!
Rob Hoover

Anonymous said...

When the Braves go into extra innings, Skip Caray announces that we've got "free baseball."

I guess this is free baseball for life.

See you at the wedding.
Steve

Jennifer said...

We got back from Washington DC last night, and I checked your blog today to see how you're doing. Hope you are enjoying all the moments you get with Melissa and the boys. Our thoughts are with you. We thought of you many times in DC!

Keep on truckin' and we will see you soon.

Jennifer Hayes

Anonymous said...

Tom, I think of you often and pray you have some pleasant time each day. I know you treasure the time you are able to spend with Melissa and the boys each day.

You know, of course, that I don't understand much of your baseball lingo, but I scan your blog often. It's like chatting with you.

Gail

Anonymous said...

My friend, I have never blogged here becuz I prefer to see you in person. I realize that time is special, and I defer mine to others who deserve it more. You and yours are so special to us , (I know that you know this or you wouldn't have let me share your Templeton's) I want you back nextdoor, only so I can feel closer to you . I have always been very selfish.Please know how much I love you and yours.
Thinking of you always , my friend,, Love Mark