Thursday, February 01, 2007

Surprise!

Yes, we're going to a party, party. --The Beatles

Who in the hell throws a surprise 39th Birthday party? Me, that's who. I had originally planned to do this for Melissa's 40th birthday, but since I probably won't be around, I decided to do it this year. I hired a band that we used to go see in college, the Rich Webster Band, invited some old friends from college who came from as far away as Raleigh, North Carolina, and put out a pretty good spread, complete with 15 lbs. of shrimp and lots of good liquor (there's no excuse for cheap booze :-) ).

The hardest part of this was getting Melissa out of the house for two hours so we could "turn" the room. We had to move a recliner couch, a regulation foosball table (about 400 lbs.), get the food and booze set up, get the band set up, get the guests here and in the basement all while Melissa was gone. Special thanks to the movers, roadies, my sisters and everyone who helped.

The band was fantastic, and everyone danced the whole evening. It was so fun to see people we hadn't seen in years, and I think we truly surprised Melissa. My oldest son Joe kept the secret for about one week before the party. He even helped be a roadie for the band, but was smart enough not to get stuck carrying the amps. :-)

The drummer, who strangely enough is my next door neighbor's brother, was kind enough to let Joe (an up and coming drummer) tap out a few things on his set during the band breaks.

All in all, a perfect evening.

P.S. Free publicity. Many of you inquired into hiring Rich Webster sometime. His e-mail is websterlaw@gmail.com. Telephone (319)358-9899. Address: 212 S. Johnson, Iowa City, IA 52240.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, You did a GREAT job throwing that party and we had a wonderful time. It was the first suprise party I had ever been to.

I also discovered we have the same great taste in music. A function of age??

Art

Tom Clarke said...

No, a function of good taste. :-)

Tom

amanda said...

What great taste in music? I'm interested to hear about what you're into...

As for myself, I am a hopeless old fart...I gave up commercial radio this summer. All I listen to now is NPR and my iPod.

I am SO glad to hear that you had a good time...

Tom Clarke said...

Oh, we're definitely old farts too. I spent a good deal of my teen years believeing that there wasn't a decent rock'n'roll record made after 1975. As it turns out, we were just in the throws of the worst musical decade ever. Even the one hit wonders of the 1980's were terrible. I mean, Men w/o Hats? The "Safety Dance?" What the hell is that??!! And don't get me started with Men at Work, Wham, Madness, etc.

But I digress. Rich played the Beatles, Billy Joel, Elton John, and his original stuff, which includes one bitingly funny song named "Let Me Enbalm You."

XM is great though, isn't it?

Tom Clarke said...

Ah, hell. I misread your comment, Amanda. I don't have an iPod. But Melissa and Joe do, and they really enjoy them. I do buy a lot of songs from iTunes and have been making some mix CD's.

On my iTunes right this instant:

"Rubberband Man" by the Spinners

Anonymous said...

Tom - that was a kickin party!
good band, good food, good company...