Friday, March 30, 2007

There once was a driver named Gene. . .

who kept his bus very clean.
At a very low cost,
we never got lost;
even while looking for Kilbeheen.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Even with that pathetic bit of doggerel, you can guess where we passed through today. It's a dumpy little industrial town, the only place we saw in Ireland that wasn't really pretty. Think Gary, Indiana, or maybe a small version of Philadelphia. The Clarkes originated near Limerick and I was hoping to at least have a drink in a pub named Clarke's but no such luck. The owner of the place we do stop in at says he hasn't even heard of any pubs called Clarke's so we give up after a couple drinks and meet Gene back at the bus.

Even so, getting to Limerick, we passed through several mountain passes and although the fog is in and out, it is still breathtaking. See example below:

On our way into Limerick, Gene stops and we all take a drink from a cold mountain stream.

After Limerick, we head toward the Dromoland Castle where we will "demand the exemplary service demanded by the O'Brien's." But first we stop at the Bunnratty castle just outside Shannon. The castle is closed for tours, but Ben and Wendy track down someone who agrees to give them an abbreviated tour. Luckily, for the rest of us there a pub next door. Even better, it is one we are (sort of) familiar with. Durty Nellie's, has some history with us because Melissa, myself, Bruce and Megan went to a knockoff called Dirty Nellie's located on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas about 5 years ago when Iowa went to the Alamo Bowl. It was a piano bar, and we had a great time. The original is very cool. Not your ordinary 150 year old pub, this place was established in 1620. Yep, Same as when the pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. I'll bet the folks at Durty Nellie's had a better time. I know we did. Yours truly:


Ben, Corky (I mean Bruce), and I:
After a good time was had by all, and we had purchased numerous trinkets and trash, we headed to the Dromoland castle located in Newmarket-on-Fergus. Here's what you see as you pull in (note our bus on the right):Dromoland was built in 1543 by the O'Briens (my mother's maiden name) who were barons of Inchiquin, and direct descendants of the High King Brian Boru the "valiant leader of a victory over the Danes in 1014. Today, the eighteenth baron of Inchiquin still lives on the grounds" (which consist of over 370 acres, including an 18 hole golf course, horseback riding and shooting). Who would have guessed we descended from the landed gentry? Even more impressive than the outside is the inside:



The doors in the place ranged from 10 feet to 12 feet high. We showered before dinner, not necessarily because we needed to, but because they were hot showers with blasting water and normal controls. Robes and slippers were provided and so were complimentary aperitifs in the room. We were supposed to have jackets for dinner, but luckily they provide one for me. It is nice to see everyone dressed up, and we have a cocktail in the "lounge" before dinner. The lounge is an area with very old and expensive looking furniture, huge portraits 10' x 6' (maybe?) and ceilings that are probably 20' high. We are seated for dinner, and we are usual selves which the staff seems to enjoy since their other customers are there for a particularly stuffy wedding rehearsal dinner. We have a great meal, very good desserts and the company is even better. Don't miss this place if you ever go to Ireland. After dinner, we all retire to our bedrooms and Melissa and I almost immediately fall asleep.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two corrections (although neither pertain to the Ireland trip). First, if you remove the word 'even' from your limerick, it will have the correct number of syllables. Second, I have never attended the Alamo Bowl. And you know I have to post this (with apologies to Billy Joel):
There once was a driver named Gene
Who kept is van quite clean
He was quick with a joke
Or he'd light up your smoke
But there's someplace that he'd rather been.

-Megan

Anonymous said...

My dad (Bill O'Brien) used to claim that the O'Briens were descended from kings. My mother remained unimpressed.

Tom Clarke said...

That's okay about the Alamo Bowl. I had a good enough time for both of us.

Anonymous said...

I must say I'm quite impressed with the tech-ability displayed with the posting of text & photos! I enjoyed revisiting Dromoland with you. When Patricia and I were there, we spent more time around the outer gatehouses where her relatives lived and worked than in the castle itself. Sounds like next time we should save up a few extra pennies and spring for a night in the castle. I'm aslo enjoying the Limerick limericks and the critique(s) of same.

the uncle

Carl said...

Tom,

Thanks for posting on my blog recently. I've appreciated going back and reading some of your stuff as well.

I especially liked your list of things not to say to a cancer patient, and have quoted some of it on my blog April 4th entry):

http://cewilton.blogspot.com/

Your Ireland trip sounds wonderful, by the way. I can remember well a trip my wife, our daughter and I took to the Emerald Isle, before I got sick. Great times!

Anonymous said...

Tom,
I've been following your entries since being alerted to the blog a couple of months back, and perked up when you began writing about this Ireland trip as I was there around the same time. As the posts about your days went by I was getting the sneaking feeling that you were getting closer and coser and that our paths would have crossed - and I'll be damned if my wife and I didn't check into Dromoland Castle in time to have breakfast on the 16th of February. I'm not making this up. A friend was wed on the morning of Saturday the 17th in Ennis, just to the north with a reception that night back at the castle. And on Friday night we were in Bunnratty at Dirty Nellies for the rehersal dinner celebration, at which the recent rugby loss to France was much discussed.
I'll try to find some photos in order to compare with yours.

-Ron Nemec

Tom Clarke said...

Ron,

Long time, no see. Wow! That's funny, our paths crossing like that. Where are you living now?I'd love to see your photos.

Tom